ABOUT CROWN & BRIDGES
A dental crown is a custom made restoration that covers a tooth with significant loss of structure. They provide strength and improve the appearance and function of the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Dental crowns protect severely damaged teeth by decay or following large fillings or root canal therapy.
- Dental crowns correct discoloration and irregularities in teeth.
- Dental crowns restore and maintain natural bite.
A dental bridge is one option to fill a gap created by missing teeth. Dental bridge is custom-made and is permanently placed between two healthy teeth, filling in the area left by a missing tooth.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- Replace your missing teeth
- Restores your ability to properly chew and speak
- Prevents remaining teeth from drifting out of position
1. How long do dental crowns last?
The lifespan of a crown depends on the amount of wear and tear the crown is exposed to, how well you follow good oral hygiene practices, and your personal mouth-related habits. Habits such as grinding or clenching your teeth, chewing ice, biting your fingernails and using your teeth to open packaging puts on greater wear and tear to the crown. On average in general, dental crowns last between 5 and 15 years.
2. What are all-porcelain crowns and bridges?
In the past, crowns and bridges were made with a metal lining that was concealed by an external layer of porcelain. These looked unattractive and unnatural as the opaque metal base was often visible. With advances in dentistry materials, crowns and bridges can now be completely made of high strength porcelain. These have the translucency of natural teeth and look more attractive.